Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic (2005)


Director: Liam Lynch

Starring: Sarah Silverman, Brian Posehn, Laura Silverman, Bob Odenkirk

More info: IMDb

Plot: Sarah Silverman appears before an audience in Los Angeles with several sketches, taped outside the theater, intercut into the stand-up performance. Themes include race, sex, and religion. Her comic persona is a self-centered hipster, brash and clueless about her political incorrectness. A handful of musical numbers punctuate the performance. It begins and ends with her in conversation with two friends: at the start, she's the loser compared to their recent artistic successes; by the end, she's the star, in her dressing room, dismissive and cutting.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah. Once was fine.

I REALLY like Sarah Silverman. She needs to have my babies. Having been a huge fan of the short-lived THE SARAH SILVERMAN PROGRAM (2007), this is the first time I've ever seen her stand up routine. Her stand up is edgy much like in the way Dave Attel's is but not as rapid fire. She takes her time with the delivery, going in directions you don't expect. I like her style. In this show she throws in a bunch of songs, some funny, others not so. I'd prefer to see just the stand up but then it's not my show so I should go fuck myself. I didn't bust a gut like I thought I would but I did chuckle a few times and that's fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment