Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Pink Angels (1976)


Director: Larry G. Brown

Starring: John Alderman, Tom Basham, Robert Biheller, Jackson Bostwick, Karen Bouchard, Dan Haggerty

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Catch the Pink Angels ... if you can!

Plot: Six leather-and-denim-clad gay bikers ride up the California coast en route to a drag queen convention. They have various misadventures along the way.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

#24 on 42nd Street Forever Vol. 1 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)

Most biker movies are 5/10's at best. I thought maybe, JUST maybe this one might be one of the more enjoyable ones. It is but just barely. The performances are key in this one. These guys are a hoot, it's just too bad they weren't given more to do. I wish I had more to say about this one but it's just meh. The trailer sure is a hoot to watch. What a missed opportunity. Say that reminds me, the ending is all kinds of fucked up. Remember EASY RIDER ()? It's that kind of out of nowhere/WTF messed up and it left me slack-jawed for a couple of minutes. I appreciate the impact it had but there was very little attempt at social commentary and the villains are way over the top so for the way the rest of the film played, it didn't belong there. It was purely a way to either A) end the picture because they didn't have one or B) they wanted to say something they forgot to include in the rest of the previous 80 minutes. Either way, it was handled poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment