Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Greatest Movie Ever Sold (2011)


Director: Morgan Spurlock

Starring: Morgan Spurlock and a shitload of advertisers

More info: IMDb

Tagline: He's not selling out, he's buying in.

Plot: A documentary about branding, advertising and product placement that is financed and made possible by brands, advertising and product placement.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

Color me disappointed but as entertaining as it was, it wasn't all that informative. I mean it shows you many ways advertising is used, some subtle and some in your face, and it's clever and funny how Spurlock sets out to make a $1.5 million documentary about product placement by filming himself soliciting companies to sponsor the film. That's the best part, really. Spurlock is very likable, there's no denying that. I liked his breakout film, SUPER SIZE ME (2004), except for its bias and sometimes mean-spiritedness. Watch this movie for its entertainment value and for the unique experiment that it is...just don't expect to walk away with a greater understanding of advertising and product placement than you probably already knew. Now, the next time I'm somewhere and I see POM Wonderful available, I just might have to try some if, for no other reason, because they had the balls to do something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment