Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dragonwyck (1946)


Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Starring: Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, Walter Huston, Glenn Langan, Anne Revere, Spring Byington, Connie Marshall, Harry Morgan, Vivienne Osborne, Jessica Tandy, Trudy Marshall

More info: IMDb

Tagline: DANGEROUSLY She dared to LOVE!

Plot: When Miranda Wells was invited to live with her dark and charming distant cousin Nicholas Van Ryan in order to school his daughter at Dragonwyyck manor she was a naive farm girl. As she watches the dark secrets of the house unfold, she becomes more aware of selfishness, desire, and insanity while becoming more involved with Nicholas. The closer Miranda grows to the community and the Van Ryan's, the more she wishes she had never come to Dragonwyck.



My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I can get behind a good drama but this one's ridiculously slow and borderline over the top. Vincent Price was the real draw for me but he was so wooden. His character is cold and heartless as hell and he's got no redeeming qualities except that he can be slightly charming but that rarely comes through. Instead, he's an asshole from head to toe (and a chatty sum bitch, too) yet Gene Tierney falls in love with him and marries him anyway. Whatever. It's an hour and forty-two minutes I'm not getting back. I need to watch something now that's going to cheer me up and I know exactly what it's going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment