Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)



Director: Rupert Wyatt

Starring: Andy Serkis, James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox

More Info: IMDb

Tagline: Evolution Ends. Revolution Begins.

Plot: An origin story set in present day San Francisco, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.


My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

I LOVE the original film and I very much like the four sequels. Tim Burton's remake spat on all of that so I have every right to be skeptical...that is until I saw this extended clip three weeks ago.


That's some powerful stuff. After this tiny bit I was convinced this could be a home run. If they are able to create emotion like that AND out of context and they put that much care into this film, there's hope yet.


I fully expected to sit there for two hours with cinematic poo being flung at me. I couldn't have been more wrong. RISE is a triumph. I cried (several times) and felt pride, sorrow, elation, pity and anger - all because of a CG chimp! Andy Serkis had better get an Oscar nomination out of this because between him and WETA, they accomplished something a lot of humans couldn't do. The entire cast and crew pulled off something I didn't think possible. I have never cheered so hard for the downfall and destruction of the human race.


It's only been a few days since I saw it but I'm ready for another go at it. RISE is spectacular film making. Caesar's journey is as natural and logical as can be. There are no huge leaps of suspension of disbelief. The events that happen make sense. I don't believe I have been this impatient and excited to see the sequel since 1980 after seeing THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK for the first time. I'm not saying RISE is that good but it's a damn fine film and one I wouldn't have expected from a studio who allowed Tim Burton's colossal fuckup once before. RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is hands down the best genre film of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment