Sunday, July 31, 2011

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (2008)


Director: Marina Zenovich

Starring: Roman Polanski

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The truth couldn't fit in the headlines.

Plot: Marina Zenovich's new documentary examines the public scandal and private tragedy which led to legendary director Roman Polanski's sudden flight from the United States.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

Damn. It's only been four months since I caught this on Netflix instant and I can't remember squat about it. Maybe that says something. It's basically a biography of Polanski, albeit brief, that obviously focuses on the circumstances of his raping a 13 year old girl, his arrest, trail and his fleeing the United States to avoid incarceration. That's pretty much it. They examine how he's hated in the U.S. and how he's loved in Europe, hence the title. I guess I liked it even though I can't recall much of it (I would've remembered if I hated it). What he did was repulsive and he
should've paid the penalty but I've always like Polanski's films (except for FRANTIC (1988) which was flawed...and boring). I can separate the artist from the act and only judge his work. As a man, his actions way back when were deplorable but I'll still give his films a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment