Sunday, July 24, 2011

Penn & Teller's Magic and Mystery Tour (2003)




Directors: Ric Esther Bienstock, Mick Grogan, Hugo Smith

Starring: Well...this fella named Penn and another named, uh, Teller.

More info: IMDb

Plot: Master prestidigitation team Penn Jillette and Teller trek around the world to determine the origins of magic and examine how the art form has influenced and been changed by different traditions and cultures. The pair analyzes routines from far-flung places across the globe such as India and Egypt, at once wowed by the tricks and, as befitting renowned magicians, taking notes for future performances.



My rating: 9/10

Will I watch it again? Absolutely.

I've been a magic freak since I was a kid and, like most people, I was forever trying to figure out how it was done. But then a lot of people don't want to know because it ruins the 'magic' of it. I welcome it because I've always marvelled at the talent, the persistence and the countless hours of practice it took to make the trick work. I appreciate the artistry of magic.


Penn & Teller respect the art and here they're traipsing across the world to Egypt, China and India in three 50-minute shows that showcase their talents as well as those of a plethora of magicians they encountered, all special and all very, very talented. I thoroughly enjoyed these and wished they did more than just the three. It's a fascinating look into magic outside of the English-speaking world.

No comments:

Post a Comment