Sunday, July 17, 2011

Firefly (2002)




Creator: Joss Whedon

Starring: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Jewel "Isn't She Scrummy" Staite, Sean Maher, Summer Glau, Ron Glass

More info: IMDb

Plot: Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small, spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them.



My rating: 9.5/10

Will I watch it again? And again and again and again...

Think DEADWOOD meets STAR WARS only without the gay robot or cartoon rabbit that steps in the poopie. But then you probably know that, don't you? A couple of years ago I was kinda sweet on this girl, see, she was really into science fiction...and she was absolutely beautiful (seriously, she was sexy as hell and the sci-fi angle just added to the hotness). Anyway, things didn't work out because she had an older sister that WOULD NOT FUCKING GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY at every turn. She was very domineering over her younger sister, so much so that it made it difficult to date her. You couldn't have one without the other and "the other" was far too pushy and had to have her own way. So what the hell does this have to do with FIREFLY? One of the last times I saw either of those girls was at the insistence that I would just LOVE this show. So we watched the first two or three episodes. It was OK. It didn't seem nearly as good as i had been led to believe.


The environment, time and place you're at mentally/emotionally has a lot to do with how you might enjoy a movie or anything else. I was getting fed up with this hottie's bossy sister's rule over her and that translated into me not getting the most out of this show. Jump ahead a couple of years and I decided to give it another chance. HOLY FUCKING SHIT is this an amazing show!!! What a difference a date makes.

I absolutely LOVE this show. Like everyone else on the planet that's seen it and is a rabid fan (I am now among them - my brothers and sisters), it's a crime this show was cancelled. The problems I had with some characters on that first viewing a couple of years ago dissipated considerably by the time I got through all 14 episodes. The only ones I could do without are Simon and his sister, River. They're not horrible or anything, I just liked them the least. That's all.


Fillion is brilliant as the captain. He's just all kinds of fun and he's a lot like Han Solo but before Solo had his dick removed somewhere between EMPIRE and JEDI where he was suddenly far too in touch with his feminine side. Jewel Staite (Kaylee) needs to have my babies!


I initially thought that Adam Baldwin was one of the Baldwin brothers and I felt guilty that I liked him...a lot. Then I discovered that he wasn't related to those morons (I like Alec but that's it) and that I'd actually seen him in something 30 years ago, MY BODYGUARD (1980). HOLY CRAP! It's THAT guy! Nice! Since watching FIREFLY I've seen him pop up in all kinds of things like PREDATOR 2 (1990) and SERENITY (2005).


I can't pick a favorite episode as they're all outstanding but one that stands out is OUT OF GAS. Had that been the final episode, I would have totally believed that it could have been the end to some major characters. Knowing that I had a few more episodes left, I knew that wasn't the case BUT they did a wonderful job of building the suspense so that you still believed it was possible. I was riveted to my seat.


It's too bad that this was cancelled and there's never going to be anything else except the 2005 film, SERENITY. This is a show that could have lasted years. Maybe season two would have started sucking by then end. I really wouldn't care because I dig the cast and characters too much to let a slide in quality bother me much. This is one of the greatest TV shows I've ever seen and I'm so glad to finally be on board with a gazillion other fans in praising its merits.

No comments:

Post a Comment