Sunday, July 17, 2011

Event Horizon (1997)

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

Starring: Laurence Fishbourne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson, Richard T. Jones, Jack Noseworthy, Jason Isaacs, Sean Pertwee

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Infinite Space - Infinite Terror

Plot: A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned...with someone or something new on-board.


My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? Uh, no.

I really had higher than average hopes for this.  Why?  Well, because I'd been hearing for YEARS how great this flick was.  I LOVES me some great sci-fi, especially the outer space variety.  This seemed like it could be pretty cool.  Hell, Sam Neill's in it.  I liked the first half hour (for the most part) and then the rotund turd started rolling downhill.  After a while I stopped chasing after it; you know, to stop it in time before it ran into something or someone.  I stopped caring after all the macho bullshit coming from Captain Miller (Fishbourne, embarrassing himself) and everything else that was going on that either didn't make realistic sense or was just so over the top these people didn't know what kind of movie they were making.

I feel your pain, brother.  I feel it.

The special effects were at times good and at others dodgy and cartoonish.  I'm OK with budget restraints on special effects if the story and the performances are earnest but here they're not.  I'm blaming the director on this one.  I've only seen one other picture of his, AVP (2004) and that was dreadful.  I've been whittling down my backlog of movies I've seen since I started this blog and this was one that I watched two years ago.  I re-watched it today thinking maybe it was me.  No, it wasn't.  It's Paul W.S. Anderson.  Note to future self: DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO WATCH THIS AGAIN!  It stank before and it'll stink again.

No comments:

Post a Comment