Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dracula (1974)


Director: Dan Curtis

Starring: Jack Palance, Simon Ward, Nigel Davenport, Pamela Brown, Fiona Lewis, Penelope Horner

More info: IMDb

Plot: A modern-day Dracula posing as psychic medium Count Yorga (Quarry) preys on unsuspecting young women in 1970 Los Angeles -- leaving their surviving male consorts no choice but to band together and fight back. With the help of a doctor (Perry) who suspects that his female patients' blood loss is the work of a vampire, they track down the count to inflict their revenge



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I've been a Jack Palance fan for as long as I can remember and for years I've been putting off watching this made for TV movie for fear of not liking it. He plays Dracula, of course, and even though he's actually doing some sober acting, it's not quite what I hoped for. I haven't a clue as to what I thought he'd bring to it but it wasn't quite this. It's a good film and anyone who digs the Bram Stoker story naturally needs to check it out. It's rather dry. I would have liked more music. Beats me. It was tiring to get through and I'm glad I saw it...not that I'm a better man as a result or anything but it did have its merits. It's not the masterpiece I hoped for but I dug it. What hurt most was that I couldn't shake the sudden desire to see Werner Herzog's version of NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE (1979).

No comments:

Post a Comment