Sunday, July 31, 2011

Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)




Director: Bob Keljan

Starring: Robert Quarry, Roger Perry, Michael Murphy, Michael Macready, D.J. Anderson, Judy Lang

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Dashing, Dark and Deadly.

Plot: Sixties couples Michael and Donna and Paul and Erica become involved with the intense Count Yorga at a Los Angeles seance, the Count having latterly been involved with Erica's just-dead mother. After taking the Count home, Paul and Erica are waylayed, and next day a listless Erica is diagnosed by their doctor as having lost a lot of blood. When she is later found feasting on the family cat the doctor becomes convinced vampirism is at work, and that its focus is Count Yorga and his large isolated house.



My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? Noop.

#51 on Drive-In Delirium Volume 1 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)

Ever since I can remember I've heard this was a classic vampire flick with cult status. So last night I figured I'd give it a go. 90 minutes later I'm scratching my head wondering why this is held in such high regard. It's not THAT good. Was there any nudity? Nope. What about gore? Very little. Was there lots of cool vampire action? Not really. Was it boring? It held my interest. The pacing was pretty good. The final confrontation's kinda cool but that's only because not an awful lot happened prior to it and I kept wondering if it was going to get better. Quarry makes a good Count Dracula...oops, I mean Count Yorga. It's too bad there wasn't a better story to feature him. YORGA is by the numbers vampire movie that's not a complete bore. The only reason I can think that this is so loved by its fans is that it was made in the U.S. at a time when vampire flicks were coming almost entirely from Europe. At least theirs had skin and blood. It's on Netflix instant if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment