Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Cincinnati Kid (1965)


Director: Norman Jewison

Starring: Steve McQueen, Ann-Margret, Karl Malden, Tuesday Weld, Edward G. Robinson, Joan Blondell, Rip Torn, Jack Weston

More info: IMDb

Tagline: An up-and-coming poker player tries to prove himself in a high-stakes match against a long-time master of the game.

Plot: An up-and-coming poker player tries to prove himself in a high-stakes match against a long-time master of the game.



My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again? Oh, yeah!

This movie rocks. I love the opening song sung by Ray Charles, Steve McQueen is likable as ever, The aged Edward G. Robinson shows he's still got it (he's one of my top 10 actors) and never lost it, the New Orleans locales are pleasing and nostalgic. I've been there so many times (and lived there for a little stretch) that it feels like home. I would gather that even if I'd never been there, this film makes it feel like you have. I dig gambling movies and this one is a beaut. The final showdown poker game is fantastic. Hell, you've got at the table McQueen, Robinson and Cab Calloway (among other familiar faces)! And Joan Blondell is a riot as Lady Fingers. I just dig that sass she was throwing around. She needs to have my babies along with Ann-Margret. She's just evil in this picture. If you haven't seen it, you need to.





No comments:

Post a Comment