Saturday, July 23, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)



Director: Joe Johnston

Starring: Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Dominic Cooper, Stanley Tucci

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Discover the origin of the first avenger.

Plot: After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending America's ideals.


My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Captain America...Fuck, Yeah!

Marvel has had a great streak since IRON MAN (2008). I was looking forward to this one in particular since I really dig the 1940s and the thought of having a super hero doing his thing during WWII could be awesome. CA isn't quite awesome but it is a lot of fun. Chris Evans sells Caps/Steve Rogers so well that once he's transformed into Caps that you're behind him 100%. I actually got a little choked up at the end. I know, right?


The only thing in the trailer that bugged the bejesus out of me was when Peggy fires a gun at Steve when he's brandishing the shield. I hated that moment (in the trailer) because it's fucking reckless as hell and the bullets are going to be deflected and potentially kill someone (I know, I know...it's a comic book movie). Well, that's what happens when you take things out of context. It works so much better in the film knowing what happened just before that scene. The performances are fun (LOVED Stanley Tucci here), I could have used more Red Skull action (great job by an underused Hugo Weaving) and more Caps-on-a-mission badassery (the montage was neat but it felt a little shoe-horned in although it was necessary).


CAPTAIN AMERICA is just over two hours long and they cram a lot in that time. You know an action film is good when it feels much shorter than it is. This is one of those movies. For as long as it was, it didn't feel it and it could have been longer as far as I'm concerned. As always with these Marvel flicks, stick around until after the credits end for some goodies. This time it's a trailer for the movie we've been waiting a few years to see, THE AVENGERS (2012).

So, Captain America? Fuck, Yeah!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment