Saturday, July 23, 2011

Blind Fury (1989)


Director: Phillip Noyce

Starring: Rutger Hauer, Terry O'Quinn, Brandon Call, noble Willingham, Lisa Blount, Nick Cassavetes, Rick Overton, Randall 'Tex' Cobb, Meg Foster

More info: IMDb

Tagline: He may be blind but he don't need no dog.

Plot: A blind Vietnam vet, trained as a swordfighter, comes to America and helps to rescue the son of a fellow soldier.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Eh, probably not. Once was fine.

For as much as I loves me some 80s Rutger Hauer, I avoided this flick for more than twenty years because it sounded soooooo dumb. After discovering the ZATOICHI series of blind swordsman films, I guess it warmed me up to the idea of seeing one of my favorite 80s actors doing something along the same lines. Is it dumb? Not really. Everyone seems to be having a good time and they know exactly what kind of film they're making - an action comedy. Hauer is likable as hell as usual. I typically hate kids in movies but this kid did alright.


Having Cobb in your movie boosts it a point or two (although nothing will touch his hilarious performance in RAISING ARIZONA (1987)) and seeing O'Quinn younger and with hair was fun. The pacing wasn't that bad but none of that makes this worth a spit without the charismatic Hauer having a grand time while getting paid for it. On one hand, it didn't quite live up to what I had been told about it but then it wasn't nearly as bad as I was fearing for more than twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment