Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thor (2011)


Director: Kenneth Branagh

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, Ray Stevenson

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Two worlds. One hero.

Plot: The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Sure

I'll make this one brief. I liked it. I'm not entirely convinced Thor's Earthly 'change of heart' would have had enough of an impact on him that he would be a different man but then again, if I can buy a mythological god came to our planet to find himself, I can buy his transformation. It just seemed rushed, that's all. It was great seeing Ray Stevenson as one of Thor's Asgardian pals. He's always a hoot. Portman didn't get on my nerves like I expected. I still find it difficult to forgive her horridly wooden performances in the STAR WARS prequels. Good score by Patrick Doyle. I haven't seen his name on a movie screen in ages and it felt good. And Hemsworth turned in a good performance as Thor. He definitely looked the part and he was very fun and likable. I really dig the direction Marvel is going and I am most anticipating this Summer's CAPTAIN AMERICA. That one's going to kick ass! Fuck, yeah!

Oh, and like all of these Marvel movies leading up to THE AVENGERS, stay to the very end of the credits and you will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment