Monday, May 30, 2011

Super High Me (2007)


Director: Michael Blieden

Starring: Doug Benson

More info: IMDb

Tagline: 4:20 - 24/7 - 30 Days

Plot: Determined to find out the true effects of marijuana on the human body, stand-up comedian and former Stoner of the Year Doug Benson documents his experience avoiding pot for 30 days and then consuming massive amounts of the drug for 30 days. More than just an amusing story of one man's quest to get superhigh, this documentary also examines the hotly contested debate over medical marijuana use.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

Ya know, this wasn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be. It's not too unlike SUPER SIZE ME (2004). I like it OK but it just didn't grab me. I'm not unfamiliar with reefer but It's not exactly a good friend of mine, either. Benson's journey didn't surprise me, it just left me wanting more of the funny. He is a stand-up comedian after all. SHM has a good deal of information and, I suspect, some biased misinformation but the highlight for me was getting to see some familiar faces of comedy like Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, Dana Gould and Brian Posehn. I guess I wanted a documentary with a little more comedic sustenance. Instead I ended up with a mild case of the munchies.

No comments:

Post a Comment