Monday, May 2, 2011

Super Fly (1972)


Director: Gordon Parks Jr.

Starring: Ron O'Neal, Carl Lee, Sheila Frazier, Julius Harris

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Never a dude like this one! He's got a plan to stick it to The Man!

Plot: Ron O'Neal stars as big, bad Youngblood Priest, a cocaine dealer who realizes the thug life isn't for him and puts together one last deal that will net him enough money so he can start over. But he knows his "colleagues" won't quite agree with his escape plan, so he must find a way to save his soul and come out of the whole mayhem alive.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? I can dig it!

Now this is what you watch late on a Friday night when you're looking for something fun. After hearing about this flick since I was a kid in the 70s I finally saw it. Fun movie, man! O'Neal is fantastic as the titular character and backed by a kick ass Curtis Mayfield song and score, this cat is cool.as.hell.

He's got the car...


the threads...


and the chicks!


Normally drug dealers in movies are low lifes but O'Neal makes it seem legit, sexy and cool. They never mention how their trade destroys lives and communities. This must be that good cocaine that makes people more efficient, prosperous and productive members of society. SUPER FLY is a very good, down on the street Blaxploitation flick that makes me feel somewhat ashamed that it took me thirty something years to get around to it. And days later I still can't get Mayfield's infectious song, "Pusher Man", out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment