Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Old Dark House (1963)



Director: William Castle

Starring: Tom Poston, Robert Morley, Janette Scott, Joyce Grenfell, Mervyn Johns, Fenella Fielding, Peter Bull

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Key to Spooks, Kooks, and Coffin Nooks... where the host with the most turns into a Ghost... and you... die...LAUGHING!

Plot: An American who sells cars in England receives a mysterious invitation from an old, excentric millionaire to visit his house in which he lives with his twin brother.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? Nay! Nay, I say!

#20 on Hammer Horror (1957-1976)

Well, that tagline is a load of shit! You'll get everything you need in the trailer. I've never seen the 1932 version but I hear it's pretty good. This one is a harmless Ten Little Indians murder mystery comedy that doesn't do anything much to assault your senses. It's maybe got two chuckles from start to finish and I'm betting that one of them is a pity giggle.


Seeing that the opening titles were drawn by Charles "THE ADDAMS FAMILY" Addams but a huge grin on my face.

I only watched this because it was produced by Hammer. My guess is Hammer told Castle he could come over to England and use their shit. I will say this, though, watch the film quality of the trailer and then look at the nice widescreen print that it was filmed in (for 20 years every trailer I saw was in B&W) and you can see how the right presentation can make a world of difference...not that it would have mattered with this picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment