Monday, May 30, 2011

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)



Director: Michael Carreras

Starring: Terence Morgan, Ronald Howard, Fred Clark, Jeanne Roland, George Pastell, Jack Gwillim

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It Lives Again To Kill Again!

Plot: When European Egyptologists Dubois, Giles and Bray discover the tomb of the Egyptian prince Ra, American entrepreneur and investor Alexander King insists on shipping the treasures and sarcophagus back to England for tour and display. Once there, someone with murderous intent has discovered the means of waking the centuries dead prince.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? I love this shit.

#24 on Hammer Horror (1957-1976)


Why is it that in every damn Mummy movie (at least the several I've seen) they never kill the girl? Why are they always mesmerized by the hot chick? Is it because they've been dead for a few thousand years and they get weak at the knees whenever they see a bosomy broad? It's not like they're going to get to third base or anything. I'm just sayin'.


That's my biggest beef with this picture. SHE was there at the opening of the tomb and she's the only one that survives. That's BULLSHIT! Bitch should've snuffed it just like the rest. Oh, spoiler alert.



This is a Hammer picture so it's going to look absolutely beautiful. The sets are striking, the props (I LOVE what they did with the sarcophagus - I need one of those in my house - it'd make a great coffee table) are gorgeous and the photography is rich beyond belief.


The story isn't all that surprising and it works for me. I really dug the kills. There's one scene where an Egyptian (who was present at the opening of the tomb so he has to die) offers himself to the Mummy as a sacrifice for his wrongdoing. He kneels before the Mummy with his head at his feet and the Mummy slowly steps on the guy's head, squashing it. Nice. That's the kind of cool shit I expect in pictures like this.


I really don't know why so many people on IMDb gave it such a low score. THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB is a fun picture and it delivers no less than what you would expect...and a whole lot more. I would rate it a 7 or better if the Mummy had killed that bitch and fulfilled the curse. Oh, well. What are you going to do? Oh, look! THE MUMMY'S SHROUD (1967)!

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you don't mean sarcophagus (mummy's death casket) rather than esophagus (body's food tube)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahaha. Thanks. Fixed. I guess having an esophagus as a coffee table (even a very large petrified one) would be a bit strange and creepy. Maybe that explains why I don't get many visitors these days...

    ReplyDelete