Monday, May 30, 2011

Andy Kaufman: The Midnight Special (1981)




Starring: Andy Kaufman, Freddy Cannon, James Burows, Slim Whitman, Bob Zmuda, Wolfman Jack

More info: IMDb

My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again? I don't fucking think so.



This was a TV special that originally aired January 23, 1980. Now I've always been a fan of Kaufman's since I was a kid in the 79s and saw his appearance on an early SNL one Saturday night. I always dug his outlandishness when it came to doing shit for laughs that no one else did. Naturally, I was so ready to enjoy an hour long TV special of his...that is until that hour was up.


He's playing that guy from TAXI. I'm not laughing.


He's got a good Elvis schtick going on so....what's the point?


Neat! It's everybody's favorite 70s DJ, Wolfman Jack!


Still not laughing.


This should be fun. Nope.


Andy sure plays a mean set of congas.


AWESOME! Slim Whitman! I love this guy!


Tony Clifton was usually funny. Not this time.

That's pretty much the gist of it. I really don't think I laughed once. I dug seeing Wolfman Jack and it was great watching Slim Whitman perform but when it came to the laughs, they were nowhere to be found. I felt like there was something wrong with me but I just wasn't diggin' Kaufman at all. If this special was made to showcase his talent as a comedian/musician, he showed what he could do musically but the comedy was left elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment