Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Red Nights of the Gestapo (1977)




Director: Fabio De Agostini

Starring: Ezio Miani, Fred Williams, Francesca Righini, Rosita Torosh, Isabelle Marchall, Mike Morris

More info: IMDb

Tagline: They Created the Most Depraved Society the World Has Ever Known!

Plot: An illustrious group of German industrialists plot to overthrow Hitler by negotiating a peace treaty with England. Disgraced, but dedicated Nazi officer Colonel Werner von Uhland is assigned by his superiors to ferret out these deceitful dissidents and stop them before it's too late. von Uhland recruits a bunch of beautiful women to seduce these traitors and undermine their conspiracy.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Ja! Ja!



NICE! No evil doctors, no prisoners, no camps...and it's very entertaining and sexy! RED NIGHTS is essentially a war thriller/espionage flick with stylish dabblings of eroticism. It's what SALON KITTY (1976) strived for and overshot the mark. The story is interesting (and remarkably different from any previous Nazisploitation films) and there's just enough sexy from start to finish to keep it fresh and fun without ever overstaying its welcome. I really dug this film.






Here's a scene that cracked me up. It's the last couple of seconds that'll have you in stitches. It did me. I loved this character!



Here's a fun one...




Director De Agostini only did 3 films which is a shame. This guy had talent. He put together one of the most entertaining films of the genre. It's not only a good story (which he co-wrote) that's quite different than the rest but the exploitation element is frequent, stylish and sexy. He found the perfect balance between quality and sleaze.




So doesn't all that add up to a home run? Not exactly. It's close to being two hours long which means there are some slow spots. It drags a bit but then I was a little tired when I sat down to watch it. I'm definitely encouraged to give this one another go somewhere down the road and I'm reasonably sure I'll like it even more.




No comments:

Post a Comment