Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country (1991)




Director: Nicholas Meyer

Starring: The usual suspects plus David Warner, Christopher Plummer, Kim Cattrall, Mark Lenard, Kurtwood Smith, Michael Dorn, Christian Slater

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The battle for peace has begun

Plot: After an explosion on their moon, the Klingons have an estimated 50 years before their ozone layer is completely depleted, and they all die. They have only 1 choice - to join the Federation, which will mean an end to 70 years of wars. Admiral James T. Kirk and crew are called upon to help in the negotiations because of their "experience" of the Klingon race. Peace talks don't quite go to plan, and eventually Kirk and McCoy are tried and convicted of assassination, and sent to Rura Penthe, a snowy hard-labor prison camp. Will they manage to escape ? And will there ever be peace with the Klingons?



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah.

I almost feel embarrassed that I'm just now seeing this for the first time (like the previous film and nearly all of the following ones). While I thoroughly enjoyed the intimate moments of ST5, it's good to see the gang working together one last time (sort of).

I can easily do without Kim Cattrall.


It's good to see David Warner back with a more substantial role.


Christopher Plummer was having a lot of fun.


I was surprised to see Pai Mei show up.


The Scooby Doo ending was silly.


It was pretty.


And who would have thought that Sulu's crew would practically be a sausagefest?


While it's not the home run I expected from all the years of hearing about it, I did enjoy it...much more so than the next one. Do I have to review that one now?

No comments:

Post a Comment