Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pandorum (2009)


Director: Christan Alvart

Starring: Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Don't fear the end of the world. Fear what happens next.

Plot: A pair of crew members aboard a spaceship wake up with no knowledge of their mission or their identities.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? NO!

Goddamnit! Despite hearing really good things about his I went in optimistic and came out pissed 108 minutes later. I'm fine with the premise. I liked the two leads. I liked Quaid's storyline. I liked the reveals at the end. I didn't like the frenetic "we can't let you see too much" camerawork (although, in fairness, it's not nearly as bad as most action movies of late). I didn't like the mutants taking up so much screen time for the sole reason of making it take longer for Foster and pals to complete their goal.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD...

I didn't like the design of the ship. It wasn't practical and, what's more, when you discover that it had crash landed in the ocean of the planet, there's no fucking way that thing wouldn't have flooded due to the extensive structural damage it would've received because of the flimsy design.

END OF SPOILERS...YARRRRRRRR!

I didn't like how I found myself questioning so much during the film that didn't make any sense in the real world. I realize this is science fiction and not science but for fuck's sake, at least TRY to not make it so ridiculously obvious that even Joe Sixpack wouldn't keep from asking questions. I knew I was in trouble when I saw Paul W.S. Anderson's (ALIEN VS. PREDATOR (2004)) name as producer during the opening credits. There was no escaping that. I guess if I want good modern sci-fi I'll have to go back and watch MOON (2009) again.

No comments:

Post a Comment