Saturday, December 18, 2010

Frantic (1988)


Director: Roman Polanski

Starring: Harrison Ford, Betty Buckley, Emmanuelle Seigner

More info: IMDb

Tagline: They've taken his wife. Now he's taking action.

Plot: In a hotel room in Paris, a doctor comes out of the shower and finds that his wife has disappeared. He soon finds himself caught up in a world of intrigue, espionage, gangsters, drugs and murder.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? What's the French word for "I don't fucking think so"?

Here's Polanski's failed attempt at a Hitchcock thriller. It's a pisser, too, because I like Polanski and he knows how to make a fantastic thriller. Despite a likable Ford, it's two hours of "I don't care". What's this, an Ennio Morricone score? Meh. The plot is very simple but it's padded far too much. Seriously? You needed two full hours to tell this story? 30 minutes in I just wanted it to end. My opinion hasn't changed much in the 20 or so years since the first and only time I watched this. The only difference this time is I'm writing it down to warn my future self from attempting it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment