Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Flesh Eaters (1964)




Director: Jack Curtis

Starring: Martin Kosleck, Byron Sanders, Barbara Wilkin, Rita Morley, Ray Tudor

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Behind this Membrane...You Will Be Driven To a Point...Midway Between Life and Death!

Plot: An alcoholic actress, her personal assistant, and their pilot are downed on a secluded isle by bad weather, where a renegade Nazi scientist is using ocean life to develop a solvent for human flesh. The tiny flesh-eating sea critters that result certainly give our heroes a run for their money - and lives.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah.

#6 on SCI-FI TRAILERS VOLUME 9 & 10 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


Well blow me down! I thought this was going to be a standard cheesy horror flick and it turned out to be pretty damned good! For what it was the acting, beautiful camera work, story, surprisingly gory effects, direction, score - it all worked; and that it was shot in a widescreen format was icing on the cake! I'm shocked that this is the only movie for Curtis as director and Carson Davidson as cinematographer!




It's a fun flick and Dark Sky has put out a fantastic looking DVD with some extras including a short and long version of the trailer, an unused sequence showing the Nazi experiments Professor Bartel describes and outtakes from that sequence. It's been sitting on my shelves for years and I figured I'd end up giving it away after viewing it. Nope. This one's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment