Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bond 19: The World Is Not Enough (1999)




Director: Michael Apted

Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Sophie Marceau, Robert Carlyle, Denise Richards, Robbie Coltrane, Judi Dench, Desmond Llewelyn, John Cleese, Samantha bond

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Some men want to rule the world... Some women ask for the world... Some believe the world is theirs for the taking... But for one man, The World Is Not Enough!!!

Plot: James Bond uncovers a nuclear plot when he protects an oil heiress from her former kidnapper, an international terrorist who can't feel pain.



My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.


Yawn. More silliness. I really wish they hadn't gone with the over-the-top outrageousness with the Brosnan pictures. He could've been a great Bond. He was when he was playing it serious but there's just far too many cornball one liners and stupid situations to make him anything but a great Bond. He's the Bond that could've been...should've been. That's right, I said it. Of all the 6 guys (in the true Bond franchise) that played him, he's my least favorite.


Anyway, that's not to say there are things I like about this one, the most of which being the final appearance of Desmond Llewelyn as Q. His exit brings a tear to my eye every time. Having Cleese as his replacement is brilliant casting. Too bad it only lasted for one more picture.



Denise Richards is about as offensive as an actress as you can get in a Bond flick. THE FUCK? Her performance is atrocious. Samantha Bond, however, as Miss Moneypenny is scrummy as hell and she needs to have my babies.

Denise Richards...BAD!


Samantha Bond (left)...SCRUMMY!

David Arnold continues to kick some ass with his John Barry-inspired score. I'm so glad he's stayed on as the franchise composer all these years. His work is excellent and I can't think of a better choice for a Bond composer outside of Barry. The theme tune performed by Garbage is quite good as well.


Overall, like the other two Brosnan Bond pictures, I just can't get behind this one. I wanted to but I couldn't and it doesn't get better with the next one, either.

Scorethefilm will return with his thoughts on...

Die Another Day (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment