Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Vampyros Lesbos (1971)



Director: Jesus Franco

Starring: Soledad Miranda, Ewa Stromberg, Dennis Price

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A Psycho-Sexadelic Horror Freakout!

Plot: An erotic horror tale about a vixen vampiress seducing and killing women to appease her insatiable thirst for female blood.


My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? Once more...maybe.




#104 on Drive-In Delirium Vol. 2 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT

Now I've seen more than a few European lesbian vampire movies from the late 60s and early 70s and this one is probably the worst so far. I had such high hopes for this one, too. The title alone screams, "watch me", but I was the one screaming to get out by the end. Clearly Franco has an eye for beauty. He LOVES the female naked form and we love him for capturing so much of it on film. The women are very easy on the eyes.


There are two things wrong with this picture which is kind of a re-telling of the classic Dracula tale but with a feminist slant. The first is the pacing. It...is...slow. Dialogue is sparse and it takes a while for simple things to happen. The other is the music. I digs me some psychedelic 60s but what's in this picture doesn't work most of the time. When it does work, it's fantastic.


Franco is a very divisive director in that you either love his work or hate it. The guy's 80 years old and is still making movies closing in on 200 films in his career. I'm going to try this one again in a few years and see if maybe it was just me but I'm not counting the minutes...or the years until that happens. Stunning imagery and beautiful women are not enough to combat this picture's failings. I need more than that but then I can't go through life not liking a movie called VAMPYROS LESBOS. It goes against everything I stand for, damn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment