Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tim Conway: Timeless Comedy


Starring: Tim Conway

More Info: Amazon

Plot: A collection of comedy routines from the 50s and 60s starring Tim Conway.

My Rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? If just for a couple of really funny gags.

The video clips I've added are not from this DVD.

I remember falling in love with the entire cast of THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW back in the mid 70s as a kid. My sister and I would sit in the middle of the floor and watch them daily after school. The cast was top notch but it was the pairing of Conway with Harvey Korman that really brought out the laughs. Conway's oblivious demeanor is just brilliant.



I wasn't really sure what to expect from this DVD (it's available on Netflix for instant viewing) but I knew it wouldn't be anything from TCBS as they haven't released a single episode to date. It's a collection of skits he performed on various variety shows from what looks like the late 50s and early 60s. While they are fun to watch, they don't compare to the memories of the laugh riots I remember from TCBS. I realize that's not fair but that show was so much a part of my growing up that it's nearly impossible not to think back on it.



That's not to say there isn't any funny in the compilation. It's got a good bit of it. The best parts are when he strays from the script and throws out an ad lib line or two. THAT'S the Conway I like. He's quick, sharp and funny. You can't ask for more from this great comedian. Well, you can ask where the hell are those TCBS DVDs I desperately must own!

No comments:

Post a Comment