Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tales of Frankenstein (1958)




Director: Curt Siodmak

Starring: Anton Diffring, Helen Westcott, Don Megowan, Richard Bull

More info: IMDB

Plot: In this pilot for a series that was never picked up, Dr. Frankenstein has just finished rebuilding his creation, but the monster is unresponsive. He needs to try something different to make it work, perhaps some new parts. Enter a terminally ill sculptor and his assertive wife....



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Probably not. There's plenty else to see first.


#8 on Hammer Horror (1957-1976)



I have no idea why this wasn't picked up by a network. I have a book on Hammer Studios so I should probably re-read that part. It looks more like a film than an episodic TV show. I would have liked to have seen more of the if, for no other reason, than to see what directions they would have taken. The acting was fine and Diffring made a good Doc Frankenstein. The monster was more like the Karloff one than the Chris Lee monster in the previous year's Hammer hit, THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Outside of that, there are no real scares here but it's got a good deal of atmosphere and fun plot twists and turns - enough to keep me entertained for about a half hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment