Sunday, August 8, 2010

Black Water (2007)


Director: David Nerlich & Andrew Traucki

Starring: Diana Glenn, Maeve Dermody, Andy Rodoreda, Ben Oxenbould & Fiona Press

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: What You Can't See Can Hurt You.

Plot: Inspired by true events, this terrifying tale of man vs. beast follows the ill-fated boat excursion of three vacationers through Northern Australia's mangrove swamps. When their vessel suddenly overturns and the guide disappears into the water, Grace, her boyfriend, Adam, and her younger sister, Lee, soon find themselves fighting for their lives against a ferocious crocodile.

My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? Yup


Man, I'm really digging these horror flicks from Australia (there's a few I've seen in the past year that I haven't written about yet). I watched this one and the next night it was WOLF CREEK (2005). WOLF CREEK is not without issues and a solid payoff, but BLACK WATER literally blew me out of the water. Shitty pun aside, this low budget, minimalist horror flick has got plenty of scares and tension...

and most of it takes place in this tree.


I know you're thinking about how exciting that must be. Yeah, whatever, but the film makers make it work surprisingly well. It's really good, though, and everything from the cast to the direction, editing, cinematography to the scrip and the music work. If you frighten easily or moderately, this will have you camping out on the edge of your seat until the absolute last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment