Thursday, June 17, 2010

Life of Brian (1979)


Director: Terry Jones

Starring: The Monty Python kids

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: A motion picture destined to offend nearly two thirds of the civilized world. And severely annoy the other third.

Plot: Brian is born on the original Christmas, in the stable next door. He spends his life being mistaken for a messiah.



My Rating: 9.5/10

Would I watch it again? Yes, 'cause this movie is good enough for Jehovah!

I can't really say how many times I've seen this flick. At least twenty, I'll wager. Just as sure as there are gazillions of people that find LoB blasphemous, there are just as many would find me blasphemous for liking this one over HOLY GRAIL (but just by a hair).


There's no point in going into everything that's great about it because I just don't have that much time. Like all of Monty Python's films, the humor covers everything from base, slapstick to high-brow, multi-level jokes that may take a few viewings for them to reveal themselves to you.

Say, who the hell is that with Terry Jones? I've got a shirt just like that.

I particularly dig the Shirley Bassey-esque opening theme song and, of course, Eric Idle's outrageously fun "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" at the end of the picture. One of the best gags in the film is when Brian addresses the crowd of followers and tells them they don't need to follow anybody and that they are all individuals and they're different. The crowd responds with a loud, collective, "Yes, we are all different", and then one sole man squeaks out, "I'm not!". Classic.

Great score, costumes, set design, the works. The blu-ray, by the way, looks UNBELIEVABLE!!! You'll crap yourself. It's almost like seeing it for the first time. I'm very anxious to see what they eventually do with GRAIL on blu-ray. Anything Python is a no-brainer instant buy for me and I can't recommend any of their work highly enough.


Oh, and for those out there who find this film offensive to their 'lord', there's nothing in here that speaks ill towards Jebus, just the people who blindly believe. So stuff it! Nyahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment