Monday, June 7, 2010

Dogma (1999)


Director: Kevin Smith

Starring: Shitloads of Smith regulars and cool cats like George Carlin

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Get 'touched' by an angel.

Plot: An abortion clinic worker with a special heritage is called upon to save the existence of humanity from being negated by two renegade angels trying to exploit a loophole and re-enter Heaven.



My Rating: 6.5/10

Would I watch it again? better that than church

I really dig Kevin's films. From that first laser disc viewing of CLERKS (1994) I knew that I'd follow this dude's career to the end (his or mine). He's had some ups and downs but mostly ups. DOGMA, for me, is in the middle. I didn't grow up Catholic so much of this story doesn't mean squat to me. Smith did do a good job of explaining things to the point where I felt better about it...not that I needed to feel better about knowing much about the Catholic religion. Hell, I feel balls-out fantastic about that.

When it comes to religion, I just don't care. I'm somewhat ignorant about the differences with a lot of religions because they're all pretty much variations on a theme I couldn't care less about. If you don't like the blues then fuck if you give a shit about a I-IV-V-I progression, right? Right.

You can clearly see, at times, there's a really talented film maker at work but there are other times where you wonder if that film maker is 8 years old. I hate to even sound like I'm knocking Smith because I really dig the guy's style and point of view. I guess DOGMA feels uneven and I would have liked more grounding and focus. Too many tangents maybe? It's still got some incredibly funny bits but it's more of a GROOVE TUBE meets MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL but without the tarts lying in ponds distributing swords. Oh wait, there kind of was something like that in DOGMA. Fuck it. I have no idea of what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment