Sunday, December 13, 2009

X-Men (2000)


Director: Bryan Singer

Starring: EVERYBODY

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Evolution Begins.

Plot: Two mutants come to a private academy for mutants whose resident superhero team must oppose a powerful mutant terrorist organization.



My Rating: 7.5/10

Would I watch it again? Uh-huh

Everyone's seen this and since I really dig it there's not much for me to say. It's a fun movie that exceeded my expectations. I remember reading some of the comics as a kid in the 1970s but I hardly remember anything from them aside from the character names and their abilities. That's all fine.


Singer assembled a great cast with Jackman giving the breakout, star-making performance. McKellen's portrayal of Magneto couldn't have been better. But Halle Berry? Seriously, she's not a very good actress. I've seen a few of her films and, with the exception of MONSTER'S BALL, she's been OK at best. Woof.

Oh, and Mystique is VERY easy on the eyes...


Great set-up and delivery with most of the characters and action set-pieces, something they improved upon in the sequel. If my memory serves me correctly, this was the first comic book film in a long time that took the material seriously and it was the first in a continuing long run of excellent comic book films. X-MEN 2, BATMAN BEGINS, THE DARK KNIGHT, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK and SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2 (not that turd of a third).

No comments:

Post a Comment