Sunday, December 13, 2009

Watchmen (2009)


Director: Zack Snyder

Starring: Billy Crudup, Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Jeffrey Dean Morgan

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: This city is afraid of me. I've seen its true face.

Plot: In an alternate 1985 where former superheroes exist, the murder of a colleague sends active vigilante Rorschach into his own sprawling investigation, uncovering something that could completely change the course of history as we know it.



My Rating: 9/10

Would I watch it again? Yup!

I never read the graphic novel. Still haven't but I'm eager to. I had no idea what to expect walking into the theater. I was blown away.


The multi-level story is most interesting. The characters are diverse with more than a few that are so much fun they deserve their own separate franchise. Haley rocks as Rorschach. He's just a down-to-Earth-balls-out-do-what-has-to-be-done-regardless-of-what-anyone-thinks kind of guy. His prison scene bits are badass and hysterically funny.


Morgan as The Comedian is fantastic as well. He's a really nasty good guy. Despite being a rapist, murderer and an all 'round asshole, he's really likable and enjoyable to watch. It's a strange dynamic that really works well.


Everyone else in the cast does a super job with the exception of Akerman. Sure she gets points for walking around half nude through most of the picture, except when she's completely nude (gotta love superheroes that get naked), but her performance doesn't match the level of her co-stars. I'm sure she seemed like a good idea during casting but it's quite obvious once you see her in the midst of solid performances. But, hey. It's not nearly as bad as Keanu Reeves in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992)!

The ending is something of a downer but it's a downer that's kind of uplifting and it's certainly one that provides fodder to discuss at-length with friends. Compared to most folks, I watch A LOT of movies and I watch them for a variety of reasons. I like to be entertained, for sure, but when something like this that comes along that delivers the goods AND sneaks in some weighty commentary that turns my brain on, I relish in it.


One fine example is Dr. Manhattan. If you could do ANYTHING, would you stay on Earth? With the universe at your fingertips, would you care? Like a kid running free in a toy store I would expect your favorite toy would soon lose favor to something else. It's bound to happen. Manhattan's actions and dialogue seemed very rational for a 'person' in his state. Those around him may not see it or accept it but that's their issue, not his.

Cookies made for a recent WATCHMEN Blu-ray screening...Mmmmm...

The three hour and six minute director's cut is a lot to sit through. It's definitely a commitment but it's worth it. And some say I'm afraid of commitment. Ha!! In...your...face!


No comments:

Post a Comment