Saturday, December 26, 2009

Alien3 (1992)


Director: David Fincher

Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Charles S Dutton, Charles Dance, Paul McGann, Lance Henriksen, Pete Postlethwaite

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: The bitch is back

Plot: Ripley continues to be stalked by a savage alien after her escape pod crashes on a prison planet.



My Rating: 6

Would I watch it again? I'm compelled to, for some reason


I don't know what it is but it's the damnedest thing that I feel the need to keep watching this movie. It's slow as all get-out but gee whiz if it doesn't have a lot going for it.


First off, Elliot Goldenthal's score gets us off and running straight from the 20th Century Fox logo. The orchestra is twisted and distorted, spiraling out of control to the softer, more menacing subtleties we've come to expect from the previous films' opening credit music. We're then, nicely done by the way, shown a series of images that give us the fate of the survivors of the previous film. A lot of people take issue with this, killing off everyone but Ripley. I'm OK with it. We'd certainly have a different film if they had survived. After all, this is Ripley's journey.



It seems rather cliche to have it set on a prison planet but it does work rather well. Fincher does a fine job at creating an eerie atmosphere. It's not like the first film but it is different in a way that brings more grit and doom. OK, it could have. The first half is quite good but the major problem occurs in the second half of the 145 minute "Special Assembly Cut Version", 31 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. The longer version is the one I watch and it's been since 1992 since I saw the theatrical so I can't comment on that one but this longer cut is better.


So what happens in the second half is the aliens are loose and are picking off the inhabitants one by one. The trouble with all of this is there are more than its fair share of scenes with dark corridors occupied by bald men running for their lives. It's not terribly difficult to stay with the characters but it's the sameness of their look and of the corridors that keep you from gaining interest in their goings-on. Add that to several failed attempts to kill/trap the aliens and it becomes a few too many. Cut a few notes and it'd be a tighter film. The rolling camera technique used to represent the alien's POV is pretty amazing.


And the ending? I love the ending. It's a great finish for a great series. Oh, wait, there's one more film. Nevermind. It's still a downer that's just right for this film filled with gloom and doom.

As for the performances I can't find any that are lacking. Everyone turns in something worthwhile. I especially like how Ripley's character gets even more room to stretch. Well done. I'm sure this has something to do with Weaver and her behind-the-camera role as producer. Other than her, the standout performance for me was Charles Dance as Clemens, the doctor whom Ripley befriends. His character and performance is so strong that...


ALIENS VS SPOILERS...

after he dies halfway through the picture, I didn't care nearly as much about the outcome of the rest of the cast. That hour really suffers from his absence.

END OF SPOILERS...YARRRRR!

People can bitch all they want about the alien special effects but it doesn't take me out of the picture. Almost...I can overlook it. It is dodgy in spots, sure, but then you need to consider it was an early effort in CGI. Maybe they'll clean it up for the 2010 release of the four ALIEN films on Blu-ray. I can only hope.


I highly recommend watching the nearly 3-hour documentary that accompanies the film in the AWESOME Alien Quadrilogy box set. It details, warts and all, the troubled filming, and the reason why Fincher wants nothing to do with the film or the studio. It ain't pretty. Fascinating. It gives tremendous insight from the genesis of the project to the not-so-good finished product.


I REALLY want to like this film. The performances are strong as is the set design, the FANTASTIC score and the atmosphere. I watch it every 2-3 years hoping it gets better. It doesn't. But maybe one day...sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment