Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shock Waves (1977)


Director: Ken Wiederhorn

Starring: Peter Cushing, John Carradine, Brooke "HUBBA HUBBA" Adams

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Once They Were Almost Human! Beneath the living... Beyond the dead... From the depths of Hell's Ocean! The Deep End of Horror!

Plot: Visitors to a remote island discover that a reclusive Nazi commandant has been breeding a group of Zombie soldiers.


My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? How can you go wrong with Nazi zombies? Or is it zombie Nazis?

Featured on Stephen Romano Presents Shock Festival (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


How about that awesome poster? I remember seeing the video cover box for it when I was a teen and thought about renting it dozens of times but always went for something else instead. I wished I'd have gotten it now. This is a fun little picture. IT'S GOT UNDERWATER ZOMBIE NAZIS!!! What else do you need?


Both of the big stars, Cushing and Carradine, turn in surprisingly good performances. Cushing was always solid, even with low budget horror like this. And Carradine...well, as long as he was paid with a case of liquor he was ready and here he's really doing a good job! It's as if he cares for a change. Very nice.

HOLY SHIT! UNDERWATER ZOMBIE NAZIS!

What else is nice is Adams. Yummy. I've heard the name before but, even after looking at her limited credits, I don't recognize her from anything.

Now that's some serious 70s bush!


There's some great location work, utilizing an abandoned hotel and the surrounding area on the coast of Florida. Go to IMDB and check out the trivia. There's some interesting stuff in there. The photography isn't bad with some really nice shots from time to time.

(in the voice of Slim Pickens) LOOKIE! LOOKIE! NAZIS!!!

I was surprised to see (after the fact) that it was rated PG. There's no nudity and very little violence with even less gore. SHOCK WAVES delivers on atmosphere and I didn't find myself bored like I half expected. The opening sequence on the boat before the shit hits the fan was pretty taut and made for an exciting setup. The story is simple and very intriguing. The opening 1 minute narration explains a good deal about the Death Corps branch of the Nazi SS. Great voice delivering it, too. Once they are stranded you're in familiar horror convention territory. People die and dying at the hands of underwater zombie Nazis. I ask again. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment