Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Bloody Valentine (1981)


Director: George Mihalka

Starring: Canadians I've never heard of

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Harry's out to steal your heart.

Plot: A decades old folk tale surrounding a deranged murderer killing those who celebrate Valentine's Day, turns out to be true to legend when a group defies the killer's order and people start turning up dead.



My Rating: 5/10

Would I watch it again? Nope.



After seeing the remake last month I was looking forward to the original which I had not seen. What a disappointment. It's not terrible but it's just not that good, either. There's not really that much I can appreciate about this except that, after seeing the remake, there are a few things I didn't expect because the remake either riffed on them or went in a totally different direction.

There's no way this guy's leaving the party without getting laid. I'm going to bring back the scarf look.

Here's probably the funniest (unintentional) scene in the whole thing. The sheriff is driving away and a dog starts chasing him, runs into the truck and bounces off!!! Fucking classic. I had to go back and watch it again it was so funny. There's also another scene with the sheriff and another dog where the dog is vicious as hell and comes way too close to attacking him. You can't help but fear for the guy with this horribly pissed off dog about to rip his guts out in real life. Nice.


Even though the music was dated, as well as a couple of the character's looks, the movie isn't. It holds up really well for a slasher from '81 which really surprised me. Now that I'm reading about it I see there's an uncut version available. I must have seen the cut version because for a movie with BLOODY in the title I expected...uh...I don't know...BLOODY? There's very little gore, no T&A (a must for 80s slasher films) and we don't get to "see" a single kill - only the before and after! That's fine if it's PG but it's R. I feel betrayed. Just one more reason not to like that stupidest (I know it's not a real word but it fits) of holidays. Next year I'll watch a Nunsploitation or Pinky Violence movie instead.

1 comment:

  1. I was not impressed. Although it was fun to make fun of the characters!

    ReplyDelete