Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday the 13th (1980)


Director: Sean S. Cunningham

Starring: Kevin Bacon and a bunch of unknowns

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: They were warned...They are doomed...And on Friday the 13th, nothing will save them.

Plot: Many years after a boy drowns one summer and two camp counselors are killed the subsequent summer at Camp Crystal Lake, a new owner decides to reopen, which sparks a series of grisly murders.



My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? Sure

Two and a half years ago I watched this for the first time. If I did see it as a kid I've completely forgotten about it - maybe only bits and pieces. I was surprised at how good the photography looked and, for the most part, it was kind of fun. Some great kills and atmosphere but that's where the fun stopped.

Last night I watched it again on a double bill with MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) and I'm left with the same conclusion as before but this time the fun wore off a little.

Man, I could so live there.

Tom Savini's makeup effects are awesome. The arrow through the throat, the decapitation, the throat slits - GREAT STUFF! Without the neat kills you're left with a SHITLOAD of annoying characters which is fine because you want them to die and to die a grisly death.

You're all gonna die! Ahahahahaha!

This chick is fucking batshit happy about everything and it makes you want to vomit in your mouth and swallow.


Fortunately, like all overly optimistic people, she gets what's coming to her. Most of the other kids at the camp are annoying and stupid. Kevin Bacon, the one name everyone knows, is pretty bland. He gets what's coming to him in one of the best screen kills ever. What a prick. He doesn't like to recognize that he was in this film, the arrogant bastard. What a snob. Depp's got no problems being in NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. He embraces it. But then again he's a much better actor with less to be bitter about.

The cop in this scene is funny as hell and has some priceless dialogue.

Officer Dorf: What you been smoking, boy?
Jack (Bacon): Smoke? Don't smoke. Causes cancer.
Officer Dorf: You know what I mean! What, you just get off a spaceship or something? Come on, Colombian gold, man. Hash, the grass, the weed, dig it?

And then there's...

Officer Dorf: (to the asswipe in the feathers) OK, can it, Cochise!

and

Officer Dorf: I told you to sit on it, Tonto!

It's got a great WTF ending that I would have loved to have been a part of in the theaters back in 1980. I'm sure it would have been a great experience. Maybe I'll watch it in another twenty years or so but it's just not THAT great of a film. I do look forward to watching the 38 sequels. In one month on March, Friday the 13 I will get to part 2 and then finish them off one per month until it's over, just like the campers at Camp Crystal Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment