Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Fly (1986)


Director: David Cronenberg

Starring: Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Plot: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes horribly wrong.



My Rating: 9/10

Would I watch it again? YES

I can't believe it took me 22 years to get around to watching this. I've been missing out. What a fantastic horror movie. It's easily one of the best of the past 30 years.


"Derp"

Great main title sequence with a superb score by Howard Shore. Amazing makeup effects. When Seth goes over to the dark side HE GOES OVER. The arm wrestling scene is awesome. Seth's gymnastics scene is a piece of work. I just goes to show you what is possible without CGI. I miss practical/optical effects. And Jeff Goldblum was born to play this role. WOW! Plus this has one of the most iconic and accurate taglines EVER.

" 'Cause this is thriller, thriller night."

And the most amazing part of it (OK, I'm exaggerating here but it's still amazing)? When Seth is typing on his computer and you see the characters on the computer screen...THERE'S NO BEEPING! Just the sound of actual typing. That's one of my pet peeves is hearing sounds on a computer where in the real world there are no sounds. Ugh. Cronnenberg is my new hero just based on that alone. Never mind that this is a tremendous achievement in horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment