Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)


Director: Patrick Tatopoulos

Starring: Bill Nighy, Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra

More Info: IMDB

Plot: An origins story centered on the centuries-old feud between the race of aristocratic vampires and their onetime slaves, the Lycans.



My Rating: 4/10

Would I watch it again? not unless I'm tied up Clockwork Orange style

A year or so ago I got around to watching the first UNDERWORLD (2003) (see my review HERE). I wasn't crazy about that one just like I'm not crazy about this one. I will say this; if you loved the first one you'll probably love this one.


The big issue for me was the plot. It's a very simple story that's been done to death for a few hundred years.

AN AMERICAN SPOILER IN LONDON...

Lucian is the slave of Viktor. Lucian is in love with Viktor's daughter, Sonja. Sonja is defiant to her father who rules the vampire kingdom and disobeys him on a number of occasions. When Viktor discovers her and Lucian's forbidden love and that she is carrying his child, Viktor sentences them to death. After witnessing Sonja's torturous death, he escapes and rallies the Lycan troops on a siege of the castle and winning the day.

END OF SPOILERS...YARRR...

Bo-ring! The blue tint to the film is neat but do we need it for 92 minutes? It gets old and fast, especially when 90% of the movie is set inside a castle. The acting is over-the-top, the music is non-eventful and clunky and the special effects, while pretty good for the most part, have some really dodgy moments that took me out of it momentarily. Oh, and for the ladies...Lucian gets naked A LOT.

I wanted to like this film but everything about it was saying "don't". I would say it's a good thing I saw it for free but then again I still saw it regardless. At least the corn & coke were good. Another nice thing came out of it...I won't have to watch the second film as I'm pretty damn sure I won't like it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment