Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Total Recall (1990)


Director: Paul Verhoeven

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone, Ronny Cox, Michael Ironside

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: They stole his mind, now he wants it back.

Plot: When a man goes for virtual vacation memories of the planet Mars, an unexpected and harrowing series of events forces him to go to the planet for real, or does he?



My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? Yeah, when I'm 64

I dig Arnold. I really do. The guy's a marketing genius. He's a great movie star, not an actor. What I don't like sometimes is that his movies are "Arnold" movies so they have to have a good deal of cornball one-liners. If you've been reading this blog you know I LOVE a good sci-fi film. Sci-fi and horror fans are very forgiving sometimes if a film in these genres has a good story but it misses the mark usually due to budget constraints. My big issue with this great mind-fuck of a movie is that it's got way too much of Arnold's crappy jokes and macho bullshit. Other than that, it's fun.

If this movie had a good actor in the Arnold role, a fraction of the budget AND had been treated seriously, it probably could have been one of the great sci-fi films of the past 30 years.Most people remember it as the movie that has the chick with three boobs. Get over it, people, they're fake. At least the one on the far right is.

Too many notes. Just cut a few.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this movie. I actually am a big fan of Ah-nold movies. Especially action ones, with lots of stupid one liners. But I liked the story of this one. And you are correct, a different lead could have made this a great movie, but I still love it.

    ReplyDelete