Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Ninth Gate (1999)


Director: Roman Polanski

Starring: Johnny Depp, Frank Langella, Lena Olin

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Every book has a life of its own.

Plot: A rare book dealer, while seeking out the last two copies of a demon text, gets drawn into a conspiracy with supernatural overtones.

WATCH THE TRAILER HERE


My Rating: 9/10

Would I watch it again? Did John Candy like Doritos?

This movie is all about the pacing, the unraveling of a mystery, the mood and the atmosphere. I'm a huge fan of the composer, Wojciech Kilar. Ever since his amazing score for BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992) I've been seeking out his films and scores. This man's talent is frightening. He excels at creating atmosphere unlike any other film composer. His score is a huge factor in why I love this movie.

Depp is great and Langella is fucking awesome. The ending is outstanding. It doesn't disappoint and the kills along the way are ghoulish and fun. The look and direction are right in line with every other fine aspect of the film. I dig Polanski's work but I have to say he's a major asshole because throughout the entire audio commentary not once, NOT FUCKING ONCE does he mention the composer. He mentions the woman singing but that's the only time he speaks about the music at all. He acknowledged that the woman singing was very talented. That's it. Asshole. Now I'm pissed. See this movie and don't allow interruptions or distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment