Monday, September 29, 2008

Bond 10: The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)


Director: Lewis Gilbert

Starring: Roger Moore, Barbara Bach, Curd Jurgens, Richard Kiel

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Nobody does it better.

Plot: James Bond investigates the hijacking of British and Russian submarines carrying nuclear warheads with the help of a KGB agent whose lover he killed.



My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? Sure

I believe that this is the first Bond picture my parents took me to see in the theater. I was 8 and believe you me, seeing those silhouetted lovelies flying across the screen did something to me. I ain't sayin' what. I was sold on Bond.


For the most part I liked this one but the music really cheeses me off. I LOVE the theme song. Great stuff. Beautiful tune. But it's Marvin Hamlisch's score that, while I like to listen to some cues away from the film, IN the film they irritate me. The disco beats have GOT to go. Bond doesn't need to be groovy. He's a badass. Fuck disco. Hell, he even throws in some music references trying to be clever like throwing in the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA theme when Bond and Amasova are hoofin' it across the desert. "Oh...Iiiiii get it. That's from that movie with the desert." Whatever.


I dig Jurgens turn as a bond villain but they just don't give him much to do that proves his badassicity. I needed more. He does get a great death scene. Richard Kiel as Jaws kicks major ass. I love that character. He's a cartoon but it was fun and memorable...almost as much as those opening credits to my 8-year-old self.


Scorethefilm will return with his thoughts to...

MOONRAKER (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment