Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Incredible Hulk (2008)


Director: Louis Leterrier

Starring: Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, Tim Roth, William Hurt

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: You'll like him when he's angry.

Plot: Fugitive Dr. Bruce Banner must utilize the genetic accident that transforms him into a giant, rampaging hulk to stop a former soldier that purposely becomes an even more dangerous version.



My Rating: 8/10

Would I watch it again? You bet your green ass I would

Marvel's 2 for 2 now and we'll have to wait until next summer to see if they can sustain they're winning strategy. And what is that strategy? To surround each film with craftsmen that respect the characters and the world they live in. You've got yourself a great story with REAL FUCKING ACTORS and a director that can pull all of that together and make it something worthwhile. One thing I REALLY love about what Marvel is doing is, besides having their (so far two) films reside in the same universe with characters interacting with others in different films, and that's that they employ very good actors. None of this "pretty boy (or girl) who's last movie was a hit" bullshit. Nice.


With Hulk I was really taken aback with the nice references to the comics and TV show. They were so well executed and never seemed either forced or "we had to do this for the fans". It's obvious the film makers had respect for the material and wanted to throw some bones to the fans without feeling obligated. The use of the TV show theme was very well done and at it's best when Banner was resting in the rain after being chased as The Hulk. I was touched by it. Very poignant. Then, of course, there's that terrific cameo by Stan Lee and later by Lou Ferrigno (who looks great, btw). Ferrigno's was very touching. The bit later on with the purple pants was hysterical.

I liked how they showed us how Banner became the Hulk during the opening credits instead of giving us the origin story again after seeing it in Ang Lee's HULK (2003). I remember liking that one but the last 20 or so minutes ruined it after it jumped the shark into silly territory. TIH is filled with nice little touches of humor without being silly. The director Leterrier did a fantastic job of balancing everything. And then there's the Brazilian location shooting...WOW!

"Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry."

In all the movie was loads of fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can't wait to see what else Marvel has up their sleeve. I have no idea how they're going to pull off something like THOR but I have all the confidence that they'll do it and in spades.

No comments:

Post a Comment