Thursday, June 26, 2008

Black Hawk Down (2001)


Director: Ridley Scott

Starring: Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Bana

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Leave No Man Behind

Plot: 123 elite U.S. soldiers drop into Somalia to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord and find themselves in a desperate battle with a large force of heavily-armed Somalis.



My Rating: 7/10

Would I watch it again? I suppose, under the right circumstances

Ridley Scott apparently knows how to make a war movie. He's certainly no slouch on action (GLADIATOR (2000)). I don't know...I've been wanting to see this one since it came out and I've heard nothing but stellar things about it. I liked it quite a bit. Once the fighting begins it's a slamfest of fighting that just doesn't let up. It's intense. This is one great looking and executed picture. I'm just not sure why I wasn't drawn into it like I felt like I needed to be.

Simply put, I left the film feeling underwhelmed. It's a marvelous achievement to have pulled off something as intensely complex as this. Few film makers could have pulled it off. I admire the film on that level. I'm sure that maybe twenty years down the line I'll check it out again. I'd like to think that it'll click. I really like well-done war films. It just didn't engage me. Not unlike what RESCUE DAWN (2006) did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment