Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Lethal Weapon (1987)


Director: Richard Donner

Starring: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Gary Busey, Tom Atkins

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: If these two can learn to stand each other... the bad guys don't stand a chance.

Plot: A veteran detective is partnered with a young detective with a suicidal death wish. You know the rest.















My Rating: 9/10



Would I watch it again? Hell, yeah!

It's been at least 15 years since I've seen this. I remember liking it (then having seen it a couple of times or better) but not this much. I watched the Director's Cut, which for all I could tell included a cut scene of Riggs taking out an idiot sniper, and it just kicked all kinds of ass. What a fun fun movie. Great mix of action and comedy.

It starts out with some hot half-naked chick getting hopped-up on coke and then does what everybody would do and that's make a swan dive off the 20th floor onto a limo. A little something for the fellas...





"Nice credit placement, huh?"



And then throw in a little something for the ladies...





We also get treated to a half-naked Danny Glover in the bathtub when his wife and KIDS (!) barge in with the whole Happy Birthday business and he's all cool about it. So much so that he looked like he'd be equally cool standing up out of the tub in front of his kids.

I really don't need to say much about this since I can't imagine that there's anyone left who hasn't seen it. The ONLY thing I didn't like about this movie was Busey. I normally dig this guy but he's just really bad in this. Check out THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY (1978) - he's good. He was even nominated for an Oscar! But not for this. Woof. The big fight at the end tends to go on too long and, even after all of the insane stuff that's led up to it, I just couldn't sit there believing none of the cops are going to get involved. Other than that it's a solid action/comedy that kicks the shit out most other action flicks to to this day. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment