Friday, November 23, 2007

Payback (1999) & Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut (2006)


Director: Brian Helgeland

Staring: Mel Gibson, Maria Bello, William Devane, James Coburn

More Info: (Director's Cut) IMDB
More Info: (Theatrical Cut) IMDB

Tagline: He's back with a vengeance.

Plot: Val Resnick and Porter, two small time bandits, hit a Chinese gang together and manage to get $140,000. But Val Resnick needs 130 grand alone to buy himself back into his syndication. So, Val turns on Porter together with Porter's wife Lynn, who kills him with two shots in the back. But Porter survives and half a year later, he is back, seeking his share of $70,000. When he finally finds Val, Porter quickly learns that he has to go much further up the ladder in order to get his money from the guys who have it: The syndication.





My Rating: Theatrical cut: 8/10 Director's Cut: 9/10

Over the past few years I have seen the Theatrical Cut (TC) probably 4 or 5 times. I've always thoroughly enjoyed the sheer badassness of Gibson (Porter), the blue tint of the film, the double crosses, crooked cops, classy mob bosses, revenge revenge revenge, and the single-mindedness of Porter wanting only what's owed to him and nothing more. I've been quite satisfied.




"Badass"


Gibson is great. The first mob boss he comes to is played with absolute delight by William Devane. What a set of choppers that man has and he flashes them like Pamela Anderson flashing her boobs. He's clearly having a blast in that roll. And then there's THE MAN, James Coburn who delivers my favorite line. After his expensive luggage is shot full of holes by Gibson, Coburn turns back to look at him and says, "Man, that's just mean!" Funny as hell with the delivery. Classic. This movie's full of badasses.




"Badass"


HERE BE SPOILERS:

I had heard for years that there was trouble between the director and the studio when it came to the ending. The TC ends nicely with total revenge and with Gibson & the girl (and dog) getting away with the money. Until I saw the new DC that didn't matter too much too me because I really like the TC to begin with. Boy was I surprised when I watched the DC. WOW! Helgeland's cut tightens up the story considerably leaving out some misc plot threads. His blue tint is still there but not as much so. It's an improvement. I never realised the blue tint of the TC could have been improved upon until now. Nice. Very nice. The DC includes the top boss voiced by Sally Kellerman. We never see her; only hear her on the phone. The TC replaced that with filmed scenes with Kris Kristopherson and an additional plot thread involving his son. I dug that plot point. I wasn't cool with seeing it cut from the DC but I REALLY like what Helgeland did instead. And then there's the ending. The last 20 minutes or so of the DC were never used in the TC and it involves a big showdown finale at a train station. Gibson is pretty much dead or close to it at the end when his girl shows up. That leaves some ambiguity as to whether or not he dies. I like the bleak ending but then again, I like Porter way too much to let him go. I REALLY wanted him to win. But then again, I'm always bitching about all the damn happy endings in movies that I shouldn't complain.



END OF SPOILERS...YAR...




"Badass"

Overall, I like the DC better. It's tighter and it delivers the goods. I also like the TC and I'm glad that we have the choice to see both. It's a very interesting experiment to watch the DC first and then the TC and fast forwarding through the bits the two films share. You're likely to find the DC a better film at the same time appreciating what the TC has to contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment